Friday, September 11, 2009

An Old Right for a New Generation

The Second Amendment lives! I had a student of mine come up to me at the beginning of class last night and ask if he could have an excused absence. I looked slightly askance at him and said, "Go on..." and he proceeded to tell me that on Wednesday night, he had his home broken into and burgled. They kicked the back door off the hinges and took a lot of stuff.

He went on; when he arrived home and was assessing the loss and damage, the guy came back and was going for round 2. Michael, the student, heard the intruder and retrieved his 9 mm pistol. He approached the guy and basically told him, "You can stand still right there, or I will shoot you."

I guess the guy, though Michael said his eyes were switching and twitching like a thing that twitches and switches around a lot, was lucid enough to understand that the fella with the pistol wasn't fooling around. The police got there and cuffed the drugged-out burgular and took the report.

So needless to say, he had some things to take care of that night, which probably included buying a pizza for his 9 mm.

I let him off, shook his hand for exercising his right to keep and bear (and bare) arms to protect his life and property, and had a good class.

I hope he gets it all straightened out, the doors repaired and new hollow points for his weapon.

Cuz you never know.

7 comments:

innominatus said...

Nice. I love it when the good guys win one. Now you just need to use your teacher/student authority and convince him to get a "real" caliber!

aA said...

I thought about offering up the idea of getting something with at least a teaspoon full of lead, but with placed shots, a 9 mm would work.

He did express the thought that 9 may be a little small when the dude was hopped up on something...

I'll ask him on Tuesday if he has considered a .40 or .45 since this happened. Heck, why not a .460 or .500 while he's at it? *grins*

Anonymous said...

aA, you fell for that excuse? tsk...tsk...

DammitWomann said...

Life is never dull, is it?

the photoSmith said...

is it bad that i was almost hoping you were going to say he shot the guy...not killed...just shot. I'd give him an A for the semester.

aA said...

Mr. Smith, no, and yes. And no. While I like the kid, if he tries to ride on this all semester, that ain't gonna make it. But if he does do his work and justifiably pulls his weapon and upgrades to at least a .40, then he'll get his "A" and a box of ammo.

I'm not just a pushover, ya know!

invigilator_tex said...

If the first 9mm teaspoon full of lead didn't do the trick, maybe the followiing dozen would.

Quantity over quality:)