Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Young Knuckleheads

Now THIS is a geezer rant, even more so than any others so far posted. It has been building a long time, and if I don't vent now, I may run over a teenager.



It seems that many of the nation's young people have not been taught either (a) the physics of moving automobiles, or (b) common courtesy and rules of the road.


I take one of my daughters to the high school every morning, and every morning I fume at the majority of the pedestrians who walk as slowly as they please (which is fine, really) in the middle of the parking lot thoroughfares (which is the main problem. Most walk in little klatches yakking with their little friends, yakking on their cell phones, or just trudging sullenly (but cooly) to class. The only problem is that the little klatches of yakkers are walking three or four across when there are cars approaching from each direction trying to get other students to class on time. Not only do they walk slowly, four abreast, but the line they choose to cross the lane is usually a very shallow diagonal line, covering as much of the drivable space as they can for as long as they can. And they'll look you right in the eye with an indignant deadpan and take a pace that would leave them in the dust at a retirement home.



Sometimes, I confess, I get as close to them as possible as I squeak past them. I have threatened to honk (well, I actually HAVE honked, but not lately) to the mortification of my girl.



So, fair reader, if you haven't instilled in your teenage son or daughter the importance of proper parking lot ettiquitte, or the fact that a geezer just might run up their back if they don't move out of the way, please do so. Soon.


There, I feel a little better, but being rushed, I haven't raved enough on this subject. If we happen to run into each other in Walmart, don't bring up this subject if you have somewhere to go; I have a whole routine churning within.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brother.....I'm right there with you...I don't miss THAT parking lot at all!!! And I DO know that it happens everywhere! In fact, there are people 'our' age that I've seen at the mall parking lot that I KNOW have instructed by example their young in this type of parking lot etiquette...disturbing.

aA said...

i have even seen old people (our age) behaving the same way at walmart.

this world is going to hades in a handbasket...on a greased pole...

Anonymous said...

Your modern teenager is not about to listen to advice from an old person, defined as a person who remembers when there was no Velcro.
Dave Barry

Anonymous said...

I have the answer to your problem!

Drop her off at 6:30 AM. Believe me this will save your sanity!

Big Toe