Friday, February 02, 2007

It's A CURSE I Tell Ya!

I had no reason to be “up” or “on” this morning. Dreary, rainy weather, I had a hard time getting out of the house on time, there’s a sick kid at home, traffic turned out horrible (what is usually a 5 minute leg of my commute turned out to be a 20 minute “sit-in” due to a blinking red light).

So when I rolled in to the office at 8:04, there was no indication of the golden moment that would ensue in mere seconds.

Our office manager told me that she left some cat food on my desk, knowing there are a couple of cats at our house. She added, “I have an electric cat feeder if you want it…”

My immediate reply: “I don’t have an electric cat...” drew a scream of approval from the other administrative assistant. One of our clever wordsmiths was coming up the aisle between the cubicles was seen laughing and shaking his head. The victim knew immediately what had happened. Fortunately, she embraced her role as “straight man” and enjoyed the coup along with everyone else.

I am just so glad to have been there to be able to use that corny old smart alecky line on such an appreciative audience. This is like a solar eclipse; the perfect straight line fed, and the punch line comes without even thinking. Heck, I don’t think I could have stopped it had I known it was coming.

Imagine living your life like this; an unending parade of potential set-ups and pay-offs running around in your head all day. Now you know what it’s like to be me.

Thank God you are you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I'll tell you somebody else who was a straight man and considers himself a straight man and describes himself as one, Cary Grant.
Harvey Korman

Judy, Judy, Judy

Rob V. said...

Great post and the illustration (that I learned was hand-drawn by the guy who is not me) is just purr-fect.

-- Rob V.